Flying-Sparks.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Beesa  

Latest topics
» IOM Southern 100
Back Home Again I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2019 5:22 am by Steady Eddy

» old suspension bridge
Back Home Again I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am by Smilodon

» getting ready for the off
Back Home Again I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am by Steady Eddy

» Anybody at TT 2018?
Back Home Again I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am by Steady Eddy

» Run away for a few days
Back Home Again I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 2:49 am by Steady Eddy

» Garage Work and Hurricane
Back Home Again I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 12:27 am by Smilodon

» Mands & sidecars
Back Home Again I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 1:39 am by KatieC

» First trip away of 2018
Back Home Again I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 12:51 am by Steady Eddy

» Car Related Stuff
Back Home Again I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm by Steady Eddy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Back Home Again

4 posters

Go down

Back Home Again Empty Back Home Again

Post by Smilodon Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:43 pm

Well, been gone the last couple of weeks on vacation in the mountains. Due to being a techie type as a job, I kind of stayed away from most of that stuff while gone, so no posts here.

It was a great trip, and we were lucky weather-wise as well. I haven't been up there purely to ride for quite a while, so enjoyed riding the old routes as well as a few new ones Dad discovered.

Dad was also nice enough to sell the ol' Honda for me on E-Bay. I hauled it up there and he took care of the rest.

I'm a horrible salesman, so have been dragging my feet. Philosophically, it was not a joy to be rid of it, as it was a great bike that we had a lot of good times on. But the reality was that I was hard pressed to find a case to ride it over the BMW, and was spending a bunch to keep it in good running order.

Somebody got probably the best 1990 CBR 1000F in the country.

Been kind of tough times around here otherwise, so the trip was a welcome relief. Nothing like the issues Tim has been having, though!
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Back Home Again Empty Re: Back Home Again

Post by Steady Eddy Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:43 am

Know what you mean about not liking selling bikes or cars ,I hate it , have bean going to sell my Honda XL 200r for two years now but it's still sat there in the garage MOT'ed and started up every few weeks but never ridden
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Beesa Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:46 am

Selling your bikes is can be gut wrenching, its like selling you kids!!!!

Beesa.

Beesa

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:21 am

Can't honestly think of even one bike I've sold that I did not regret selling about 5 minutes later. I wonder where myCB400F is now? Or the IT175? Or the XL100 even? Or the 90S!?

All dead and buried i suppose, but I'd want them ALL back!
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:09 am

So, now I need another bike to replace it. Smile

Something a bit different in the bike line up. Maybe a classic, classic clone or some other lightweight that can carry two people.

But I'm going to wait until my job situation stabilizes a bit. Might be moving, might be broke, so wait and see.
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:26 am

Funny you mention a 'classic'... I've been babbling about building a CB350 cafe racer or something similar. Then I thought about the amount of free time I've had in the last few years and decided against that idea. Shopping for a KLX or TT250 or something dual purpose again. Better to spend the free time riding instead of tinkering...
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:10 am

I must admit JP I do like the dual purpose bikes , and do prefer to have bum on seat instead of spanner in hand , but some times needs must and all that
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Hey Eddy! It's funny looking through the 'For Sale' pages looking for a used bike. You'd think sellers would use spell check before they lie to me about their "Yomaha XYZ bike in purfekt condesion, needs notheing, just a little oil leek around the spark plug and breaks dont work" And the boys usually are only asking 80% of the value when new 8 years ago... Found a clean XT250 last week for $3500 and it was gone before the end of day. I'll have to be fast if I want a good used one. It is simpler to buy brand new ($4800)... Not sure what SheWhoMustBeObeyed will have to say about that though...
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:54 am

Thanks to the Cafe Racer craze (at least here in the states), and the bikes a lot of younger folks seem to be going toward (old Japanese standards), the price of old Hondas is out of sight...

Mine was too "new" to fall into that category, of course, but any "CB", particularly the twins, has leaped in value. Old XR Yamaha twins as well.
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:35 pm

So does that mean that the trade in cheap imported US bikes is going to dry up ?? not that they have been that cheap over the last few years any way
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:58 am

Steady Eddy wrote:So does that mean that the trade  in cheap imported US bikes is going to dry up ?? not that they have been that cheap over the last few years any way  
Depends on what they are. "Classic", air-cooled motors of all stripes are in the cross-hairs, but Honda twins and small early 4's (never really that cheap), are taking the big jump.

There's plenty of other stuff you can take off of our hands cheap!
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:40 pm

While I was contemplating what I wanted to 'build' to go get a cafe... I reminded myself of one I'd 'built' many years ago... 37 years ago to be exact Shocked !!

Back Home Again 400FTouring_zpsa6f1e064

This was a picture of the 'sport-touring' mode of my old 400F. Lots of miles on that thing.
It was lithe and agile and responsive and all the other terms you use for saying lightweight. But it wouldn't pull the skin off custard. Sounded great, but no good getting into a drag race with an RD350!
I decided that I wouldn't want to spend a whole pile of time or money rebuilding something like this. I'd much rather have a KTM or DRZ400 single cylinder super moto thing.

Something silly and irresponsible, you know?

j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down