Flying-Sparks.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Beesa  

Latest topics
» IOM Southern 100
Weather report I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2019 5:22 am by Steady Eddy

» old suspension bridge
Weather report I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am by Smilodon

» getting ready for the off
Weather report I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am by Steady Eddy

» Anybody at TT 2018?
Weather report I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am by Steady Eddy

» Run away for a few days
Weather report I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 2:49 am by Steady Eddy

» Garage Work and Hurricane
Weather report I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 12:27 am by Smilodon

» Mands & sidecars
Weather report I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 1:39 am by KatieC

» First trip away of 2018
Weather report I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 12:51 am by Steady Eddy

» Car Related Stuff
Weather report I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm by Steady Eddy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Weather report

2 posters

Go down

Weather report Empty Weather report

Post by j.p. Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:24 am

Poor old site! Dust and cobwebs abound. Noticed that other sites are way down on posts too. I think it is more than the seasons changing.
I posted something about my advancing age on another forum and was surprised to see how many other peeps re-posted comments that they were mostly all old farts as well.
I have a feeling that the young-uns are busy 'tweeting' and Facebooking and whatnot.

Oh well... How was your 'weather event' Smilo? Sounds like you were a dead center hit.
We got the remains many days later... Absolutely perfect weather on Saturday, and then the 'end of the world' on Sunday/Monday. Rained like it did for Noah. We've never had that much rain in 24 hours (285mm or 11 inches).
The lake behind our house is about 5 miles long and 1/2 mile wide and it went up 40" in 24 hours.
I got my wharf back the next day by casting a fishing line and reeling it back to the (new) shoreline.
Lots of flooding in the center of Sydney, but our house escaped with very little damage.
Just not used to Florida weather.
Eddie would just consider that a mild dew, I suppose...
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Weather report Empty Re: Weather report

Post by Smilodon Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:07 am

We had some hardships.  No electricity for about 5 days, no water for a few days as well.  Lost some more trees Sad , but fortunately had little damage to the recently rebuilt house.  A small interior plumbing leak, presumably caused by the rattling round the house took.

When I was rebuilding, I forked out for upgrades related to storm stuff (120mph windows, secondary roof moisture barrier, extra stuff under the roof, etc.  Also, we ended up with a new roof, siding and such as part of the rebuild, so I'm sure that helped.

It was bad, though.  We were spared the worst, as the eye passed about 20 miles off coast (about 30-40 miles away from us, and that is enough to make a huge difference.  It would have definitely been one of the ultra bad ones (Andrew, Katrina) if it was 50-100 miles further to the west.

It was bad enough as it was, though.  The winds were lessened from the worst, but the big problem was that it moved so slowly.  All the other hurricanes we've been through in the past moved fast.  An hour or three of the worst winds and lots of lesser winds.

This time, we probably had hurricane force stuff for 30 hours or so.  And lots of lesser stuff for many hours before and after.

I was wondering how bad you got it.  We were not getting a lot of news on the portable radio (all we had for a while) once the storm wasn't a direct threat ("and now, back to commercials"), so didn't know what was going on.

Yeah, I know the BBS thing is dying in most places, and it is a sad thing in my opinion.  Interactive communications with any depth seems to be dying in general.  Oh well... We still have bikes and racing (so far)...
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:08 pm

Remind me to change my avatar...

Back to the subject though, youzz guys had it worse than us. It was pretty well petered out by the time it got here. It just picked up some more humidity from the Gulf of Maine and dumped it here and Newfoundland. The wind was a little annoying, but nothing out of the ordinary storms for fall. At the height of the storm, the grand-son and I were out splashing in the puddles in the front of the house. It was still about 70 degrees and the trees around here were staying in place. A little to the north of here in Sydney, the wind gusts were worse and the flooding concentrated in a few low lying areas. They had never really been a problem before, but since then they have declared several streets 'condemned', and are expropriating the houses. No more building permits to be issued.

Something they will have to do in Florida eventually... Rolling Eyes
Typical pictures from the day after here...

flood

My generator doesn't generate anything except noise. I've been 'going to fix it soon' for about 5 years now. Lucky we had some water saved (no pump) and lots of candles. We heat with wood, but it wasn't cold enough to worry about that. Listening to the radio in the car gets old quickly though.
Did you loose anything in the freezer? I was 'forced' into eating some soggy ice cream on day 2, but otherwise lost nothing.

We have a steel roof and building codes around here are fairly strict with things like hurricane clips on trusses, window attachments, and the like. I still worry about a direct hit though, because the vinyl siding would not survive. If that got ripped off, our 'super-insulated' walls would be exposed and they are nothing more than thick foam boards, so not very bullet-proof.

I would not want to go through a slow blow like you got. Worst we have had since this house was built was 4 to 6 hours of maybe 80 MPH with gusts to 100.
My chickens live in a 'chicken palace' (our term) with almost floor to ceiling glass about 5' tall. They would be blown into the North Atlantic in a big blow!
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:46 am

Wow, those pics look awful!

We had the generators running pretty quickly (they were pre-staged and tested), so fridge contents survived. Even had a couple of popsicles to try and beat the heat.

Mostly waiting for the backlog for the fence and tree guys to clear out at this point...
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum