Flying-Sparks.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Beesa  

Latest topics
» IOM Southern 100
Merry Christmas  I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2019 5:22 am by Steady Eddy

» old suspension bridge
Merry Christmas  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am by Smilodon

» getting ready for the off
Merry Christmas  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am by Steady Eddy

» Anybody at TT 2018?
Merry Christmas  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am by Steady Eddy

» Run away for a few days
Merry Christmas  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 2:49 am by Steady Eddy

» Garage Work and Hurricane
Merry Christmas  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 12:27 am by Smilodon

» Mands & sidecars
Merry Christmas  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 1:39 am by KatieC

» First trip away of 2018
Merry Christmas  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 12:51 am by Steady Eddy

» Car Related Stuff
Merry Christmas  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm by Steady Eddy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Similar topics

Merry Christmas

3 posters

Go down

Merry Christmas  Empty Merry Christmas

Post by Steady Eddy Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:27 am

Merry Christmas every one have a great time and all the best for 2018
    We will be at our daughters for lunch with some of the kuds having a lazy day letting others do all the work , all of a suden crimbo dont seam so bad , then boxing say I will be doing a traditional walk from Ripon Cathederal to Fountains Abby mince tarts and Mulled wine a few Carols in the Abby and back home walk off some of tomorrows eccess , talk of rain and snow but some things have to be done , have a good one peeps catch you soon all the best
    Steady Eddy
    Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Merry Christmas  Empty Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Steady Eddy Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:38 pm

The walk was done the mince tarts were consumed the mulled wine was drunk and I made it home all in one piece , think I need a little more practice at that walking game by the time I got back there were parts of me aching I didn't know  were still there towards the end of the 8 miles , may be a bigger flask of mulled wine would help

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kJnSDz6k5gSpWFn02
    Steady Eddy
    Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:09 am

Well, a little late for Merry Christmas, maybe Happy New Year?

We spent Christmas up in North Carolina with my parents. They are moving into a new house, so lots of adapting and overcoming to do the traditional Christmas stuff, but we made do.

Cold up there, but no snow. We left before the worst of the weather was to hit. Didn't want a Florida boy driving down the mountain in ice and snow!

Back in sunny-ish Florida and relatively warm weather.
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:39 pm

Saw your journey on Facebook, Eddie. That church needs a little renovation. That King Henry really made a mess of the real-estate listings!
    Watching the worldwide weather patterns with some trepidation. We've had a cold snap here that froze the lake. First time in about 5 years it has frozen this early. Can't complain, the summer lasted about 2 months longer than usual. I've still got spiked tires around somewhere. If I got the KLR going in a few weeks... Hmmmm.... scratch
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:49 am

Some one is watching over me Merry Christmas  20180102_171822[/url]
    Steady Eddy
    Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:05 am

... queue "Jaws" music...

Come over this way and I'm sure we can find you a live one (shark that is)!

Good luck with the cold guys. We got some ice on the roofs and such last night here even. Nothing like you are going to have to deal with though.

Going out tonight to get to go to a wine and dine charity event of a big private car museum. It is in my back yard and I didn't even know it existed! When I say big, I mean big. Hard to believe this is one guy's car collection:

American Muscle Car Museum

99.9% American "muscle" cars, but that works for me. I was a muscle car guy (kid) and had a 1969 Z28 before I bought my first street bike.
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:48 am

I was never a fan of your cars our roads are too narrow and have bends in them and way too bumpy for them , we have a US Army Base near us and years many of your guys brought their cars over with them and they struggled with them trying to park them in our car parks and get down some of the strerts was a nightmare for them , and our petrol prices meant running one was way out of our reach , but your guys got it at US prices on the base so they were ok for the out ward run but if they had to fill up to get back they needed a mortgage , but no getting over the sound track them big V8 motors music to any petrol head
    Steady Eddy
    Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:08 am

I'm absolutely flabbergasted at that ... 'place' ... museum ...shrine ...whatever! I am on one hand highly offended that all those cars are off the road and locked away from mere mortals, and yet also grateful that they are properly preserved. What a commentary on the value of money in our society. 'Pet pharmaceuticals'? What the hell is that? ... and why can't he afford a proper haircut? The place has a MOAT! Head hurts... Must go look at something normal.

Oh yeah... hurricane force winds outside, but obviously we have not lost power, other than a few blackouts last night for an hour or two. Snow all got blown away too. Bonus!
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:32 am

Just seen some news clips of the snow and deep frosts temps and looks frightening to me for gods sake keep it over there dont be sending it over here.
    Steady Eddy
    Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:37 am

The WIND! The wind tried to blow us in to next week. I hate wind! Don't even like spring-time breezes. Hate sailboats too.
    On the plus side though, it blew away all the snow and knocked down all the dead trees in our wood. I suppose this spring's clean up will be a little easier with them all lying down. Would have been nice if they were all chopped up and split too, but you can't have everything...
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:36 am

Yes have to agree I dont like wind , you cant see it , and too hard to judge the required lean angle for safe travel in required direction , not to mention things that should be stood standing still floating in said wind clouting you from behind and rubish from three streets away all ending up in our garden for me to clean up , not nice at all,
    Steady Eddy
    Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:57 am

No, muscle cars were never great handlers, but then neither were a lot of other cars back in the late 60's/early 70's.  

The Z28 I had was build as a homologation special for the US "Trans Am" series, and was a bit better at going around corners (even had optional 4 wheel disc brakes back in 1969), was on the small side for a muscle car, had a small but powerful V8, but was still not an XKE by any stretch.

The new ones however can hold their own against most supercars on a track if properly equipped.  

Took a ride in a Dodge Challenger "hellcat" (probably the closest to an old-school musclecar), and as they say, it didn't suck.  707 horsepower at a price I can (almost) afford (pre-garage project), is pretty addictive.

It is a pretty big car even by current US standards though.

Of course, Carol Shelby was more than happy to get a British A/C Ace and stuff various V8's in it.  Best of both worlds!

Yeah the museum/collection was jaw dropping but a little odd/sad as you said.  He even had what is the lowest mileage 1969 Z/28 (1300 miles).  I struggled to see the good side of that, but I guess it makes a good reference for restorers.

Most of the Indy pace cars were in what they call "undelivered" condition.  Less than 10 miles, plastic bags on the seats, etc.  Straight off of the end of the assembly line and into the collection.

If you consider some of those cars are worth over a million dolllars (a few quite a bit more) and probably none of them is worth less than 50k, that's a staggering pile of money.
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Funny we should get on a 'muscle car' topic. I grew up driving a 1967 Firebird. My friends had 383 Satellites (Roadrunner) and 340 Darts. Those are cubic inches, Eddie... not liter or cc measure!
    It dawned on me eventually that the Firebird was a piece of junk (326 V8 with a 2 speed auto - TWO speed! Testament to lots of torque from a V8 but not much refinement. Skinny little polyglass tires on 14" 4 bolt steel rims. Drum brakes. Piece of junk, but I thought it was fabulous at the time. I see them in shows now and laugh at the steel steering wheels and flat 'bucket' seats.
    Z28s and even SS Camaros and Firebird TransAms were a different story, but neither handled as well as the Sciroccos and Rabbit GTIs that were to follow in my automotive awakenings.
    My late (un-lamented) Kia Forte would probably run circles around any of them in a slalom (until the engine blew), but the old 67 to early 70 V8s would loose 'em all in a drag race.
    Now I drive a great mother Dodge van. It might be even fatter than Eddie's mobile apartment Bigelow! How the mighty have fallen! Good thing I still have the two wheelers to fall back on.
    I noticed in your garage pictures Smilo, that you have a Miata lurking about. I've always fancied that as a possible replacement for the bikes. It would be the perfect ride for the Cabot Trail some year when I get really decrepit!
    Is it a good Florida car?
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:30 pm

Miata's are great cars, ours is really my wife's "toy".  It compares quite a bit to a motorcycle to me.  You can daily drive it, or take it on a long trip, but more fun to run around on the weekend when the weather is nice.

I'm a little less enamored of the later versions (ours is a gen 2 the new ones are gen 4).  But, it is mostly minor stuff, as they have kept most of the formula the same.

And they have some nice v8 conversions if you want more power... affraid

Going to be seeing a ton of cars again next weekend.  Going to the big Mecum auction in Kississimee FL...

Auction Website

Thousands (literally) of cool cars. Takes all day just to walk past them all!
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:08 am

Oh Great! I had a list a mile long of things to do today, and it is now past noon and I am STILL flipping the pages on that auction site. I'll have to buy TWO loto tickets now! Too many... too many...
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:04 am

Want me to look something over for you? Maybe have them hold something aside?

They have the shipping companies right on site, just send me a check and your address (and auction lot number)...

There is a big *bike* auction coming up in a few weeks in Las Vegas... Something I theoretically could afford there... Maybe.

Makes a great car lot to wander through, though.
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:45 am

A few photos from our new year visit to the deep where yon big fellow was watching over me

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qqCMaADz7Fe0UAQP2
    Steady Eddy
    Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down