Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:17 pm by Steady Eddy

January 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Hello from Yangon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Yangon

Post by Turbine_Man on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Hey guys.. Glad to see sparkies are back up and running..

Turbine_Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Yangon

Post by Steady Eddy on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi and welcome there are a good number of old lags popped in to say hello and nice to see it back , but sadly not putting in much chat to keep things flowing , so how has time been treeting you ??will you be over for the TT this year ???

Steady Eddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbine_Man on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Sadly not this year as will still be away. GTN told me Sparks was and running again. Life is bloody good at the moment.

Turbine_Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Nice to hear life is good for you , there seems to be an awful lot of doom and gloom about in the present economic climate for me I had a bad patch just over 2 years ago now lost my HGV license through health problems and had to have a heart bypass op but was coming up to retiring age so did not bother getting the license back so am now a full time grumpy old git and loving it , how I ever had time to go to work I just don't know , so ok I have to watch the pennies but other than that am not doing too bad , managing to do plenty of marshaling and can spend extra time in the IOM so I can use the cheep ferry's now that we have the time we have had 7 weeks a year for the last two years for £78 less than it used to cost for two TT weeks before sound

Steady Eddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beesa on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:03 am

Welcome back Turbine, been a while eh? I think a lot of old Sparkies will be hearing about this new site and getting back together.

Cheers, Beesa.

Beesa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gary the nurse on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:42 am

Still can't get over you got lost and ended up looking for an aircon in burma tho lol so how's the biking in the heat like?piccies please!

gary the nurse

Location : the home of the little people and biggest bike race in the world

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:55 am

Hey! Really? There was a show on TV a few months ago about the guys digging around looking for a complete Spit in the jungle. Was that you? If I remeber correctly, they've found a Lanc in a lake somewhere in Newfoundland a while ago. Must go look up the link to see if it's out. There was a show right after that about the P48 lost in a snowdrift. Brain is fuzzy about that one too. Amazing how you can watch something and not remember it 5 minutes later.

What was I on about anyways??? Question

j.p.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbine_Man on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 am

Not digging for Spits but after gas. Found myself back in the oil and gas after working making wiggly Amps for the island. Now looking after a large offshore platform and an onshore gas terminal from an office in Yangon. Sadly the ZX9 had to go and so did the M5 but am still smiling. No way can you ride a bike out here as the roads are not good enough but there is a company who does track days in Thailand so have had my power ranger suit shipped out here.
It will be good to have some of the sparkles back on, Lazer, Rev etc. I have the 4 your tube videos of the rideout in my digital collection. Part 4 about 6 minutes always makes me smile.
Will throw up some links to an online photo album with pictures of this place over the next few days.
Glad to hear things working out well for all of you.
One day I will be back for coffee and kipper bap at Peel.

Turbine_Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Just spent some time wandering around Yangoon with a little help from Google. A trifle ...unhh.. 'Exotic'? Wow! Not quite New York city, eh? While Sparks was down, I must confess I wandered into temptation and hooked up with http://www.sport-touring.net (MEGA site with hundreds of peeps on at all time of the day and night - but never found a 'family'). They DO have a section on touring trips though, and the ones from VietNam and India and Thailand are fascinating. You don't need anything bigger than a 250 though!

j.p.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:04 am

Welcome back... My you do get around.

I'll pretend I'm "worldly" and didn't have to look up where Yangon was... Er... Yeah, I used to hang out there on weekends when I was in Tharrawaddy... Uh huh...

Ok, maybe that's not entirely true... Still, I have been to Plockton and Yee Haw junction... Laughing

Smilodon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:09 am

j.p. wrote:Just spent some time wandering around Yangoon with a little help from Google. A trifle ...unhh.. 'Exotic'? Wow! Not quite New York city, eh? While Sparks was down, I must confess I wandered into temptation and hooked up with http://www.sport-touring.net (MEGA site with hundreds of peeps on at all time of the day and night - but never found a 'family'). They DO have a section on touring trips though, and the ones from VietNam and India and Thailand are fascinating. You don't need anything bigger than a 250 though!

Yeah, I've been to that site a few times. I was hanging out at a bike place in Everett (Washington) one evening during a business trip, and some great Indian bikers were screening one of the movies they made. If you can find one of these, they are a great watch!

"One Crazy Ride" Site
"One Crazy Ride" Trailer

The filmmaker's earlier production is called "Riding solo to the top of the world"...

Smilodon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:15 pm

Oh my!!! I wonder how the rope bridge worked out?? Shocked

Where is the 'Thread hijacked' smilie?

j.p.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbine_Man on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Currently in the hot season with temperature over 40 most days. Only had one rain session since November. But beer is cheap and very cold which helps

Turbine_Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. on Wed May 01, 2013 12:17 pm

I hate to ask this, but what do they make the beer out of? I don't want to ruin your idyllic lounging time and all...
We have a beer here made from rice and it's OK really... Just that REAL men don't get caught drinking it, you know?

j.p.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon on Tue May 07, 2013 6:14 am

j.p. wrote:Oh my!!! I wonder how the rope bridge worked out?? Shocked

Where is the 'Thread hijacked' smilie?

I originally watched that bit on a bigger screen, and it was mostly life-sized. I was holding my breath since the view was riders-eye and I felt like I was there!

I had the advantage of having the guy who did it in the room with me, so I knew in advance that he survived!

Great little story...

Smilodon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gary the nurse on Thu May 16, 2013 1:10 am

Hmmm dengue fever eh?doesn't sound like tonsilitis......breakbone fever sounds a bit dramatic!hope you're feeling better soon mate!

gary the nurse

Location : the home of the little people and biggest bike race in the world

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum