Flying-Sparks.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Beesa  

Latest topics
» IOM Southern 100
IOM Southern 100  I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2019 5:22 am by Steady Eddy

» old suspension bridge
IOM Southern 100  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am by Smilodon

» getting ready for the off
IOM Southern 100  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am by Steady Eddy

» Anybody at TT 2018?
IOM Southern 100  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am by Steady Eddy

» Run away for a few days
IOM Southern 100  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 2:49 am by Steady Eddy

» Garage Work and Hurricane
IOM Southern 100  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 12:27 am by Smilodon

» Mands & sidecars
IOM Southern 100  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 1:39 am by KatieC

» First trip away of 2018
IOM Southern 100  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 12:51 am by Steady Eddy

» Car Related Stuff
IOM Southern 100  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm by Steady Eddy

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

IOM Southern 100

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

IOM Southern 100  Empty IOM Southern 100

Post by Steady Eddy Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:05 am

Well we are here in the IOM in great weather for two weeks for the Southern and a bit of chill out have met up with Kate and tbe lovely Man a couple of times always good to catch up with them two racing on the first three evenings were good but then in race day it all turned souer a rider lost his life and the remaining races were abandoned it has hit me hard I knew the rider and his family , and was marshaling at his first race meeting and now sadly was there at his final race one James Cowton , to say I am gutted is an under statement , after much deliberation I have with a heavy heart decided that that is me finished with roads racing I will not be going to any more , it just feels that over the last couple of years every meeting we go to it is endless red flags riders killed or smashed to bits , I marshalled for about twelve years at all levels and was lucky to only be involved with one bad one that we thought we had wone we got him in to the air med and packed of to hospital inly for him to die later that night from his injuries , but I now feel that the odds are that one day a bad one ciuld happen in front of me and I would have to live with the memorries of what I had seen and that thought frightens me so much I am not prepared to run the risk any more , I am done , I never thought I would see the day I would turn my back on the TT but I did and now I never thought I would want to turn my back on all roads racing but do , I will go to a couple of short circuit meetings to see how I feel about that as I feel right now I dont know how it will turn out time will tell
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

IOM Southern 100  Empty Re: IOM Southern 100

Post by Smilodon Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 am

Yeah, I was kind of wondering how that would impact you.  You are much closer to things than I am.  And certainly much more experienced in attending road races.

It has certainly been a bad year, and had a big impact on me and my fellow fans far away on this side of the pond.

That said, fatalities have always been hanging over such events, and while safety gear and motorcycle systems (brakes, tires, etc.) have improved dramatically, the speeds have increased at a similar rate.

Respect your decision, and hope you find some kind of racing you still enjoy.  I don't think I could give it up entirely.
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:50 am

It has not been an easy desission for sure but one that haz been building for some time what with the Scarborough Gold cup meeting last yesr having to be abandoned because the hospital had run out of I C beds along with the other bad does there over the last two years and the stuff at the TT the Steve Mercer incedent and now this at the Southern it has all tipped me over the edge , am not like some saying it should be banned it is just me saying I cant take any more personaly I am torn to shreds just knowing it has happened but the thought that it could happen right in front of ME and even worse seeing where some of the bikes have ended up I just dont feel safe any more , At Scarborough I was stood in the very place the guy in a wheel chair that was badly injured and is still in hospital I believe taking photos that morning and in the afternoon before thinking I was ok , me the guy that gas been shouting safety for all the years since I first marshalled , as a marshal I have done my share of picking bikes and snashed up riders sime loosing limbs only the one fatality and we got him stable enough to be flown out but died later in hospital but these days with the increase in speed the damage potential has rissen to a new level but the safety margines have not been widened I know there are many that dont want change but I believe if changes are not made and the deaths continue to rise at the pesent rate the time will come the the anti road race brigade will get their way and get it banned but I am not saying ban it I am just stepping aside at 71 fast approaching 72 I have had a good run made a lot of friends had some great times but my time has come to say farwell thanks for the memories I will tresure them for what ever time I have left
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:37 pm

First time for sges I have been able to log in dont know if any of you still look in or can still get on to the site if you can and do I hope you are all well , the news at my end is that the bike was off the road much of 2018 the alternator packed in well I got one shipped over from the US at a 1/4 of the price of here at home and she is all ready for some action I did go for a lttle ride up in the Yorkdhire Dales on new years day , boy did I enjoy that , we as a couple are both getting worse with our mobility so are looking at down sizing to a bungalow as soon as we can , the boss has started cutiing down on clutter as she calls it if we dont get moved soon there will be nothing left to move its that bad even the dog hides his bed jyst in case
Keep Well Keep in Touch
Ed
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:54 pm

Just idle curiosity logged on this evening. I do believe the web-forums seem to be dead. The MUCH bigger SportsTouring site has pretty well crashed too. One or two idiots posting garbage can kill the whole thing. I seem to be busy away from bikes these days. Snow and ice don't make it any easier to get enthusiastic of course, but maybe when spring arrives and motors get rebuilt... I've been idly looking at a Versys 300 in the 'used bike' ads... Lightweight commuter bike?? Maybe...
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:55 pm

I have after much deep thought I am stepping away from Roads Race events after last years tragic losses and TT miss management with the Stevey Merser incedent I have lost all faith in the officials , doesnt help when the investigater comes out and backs what I have been banging on about for years that marshal rraining needs to be taken more seriosly that the officials also need more training ( but by who the top man hasnt a clue and was told he tries to take on too much , to be fair to him what else can he do when all he has under him are ?????? ) it is just a big cock up that I want no part of , never thought I would see the day I walked away from it all so the saying never say never is true , keep that white stuff over by yonder I am finding the cold harder and harder every year to put up with
Keep Well Keep in Touch
Ed
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:25 am

I still check in every now and again, and was surprised by a few posts!  There are still some boards that stay active, but this one isn't managed in any way, and I've kind of given up on it (although I'll still look in every once and a while).

If anybody has an active place that they do hang out in, let me know and I'll join in.  Of the boards stuff, I'm mostly on the WERA BBS (a US racing organization) because of the lively crowd.  Also, the Garage Journal (a site ostensibly about garages and shops).  I joined GJ many years ago for ideas for shop organization and stayed for reading about the amazing stuff other folks are doing.

Both kind of US-centric, although both have members from around the globe.

On my end, a bit of a health scare (heart related), but nothing that can't be overcome.  All a part of getting older, but unpleasant none the less.

Mega-garage is completely done and in use nearly every day, so that's a hit.

Racing-wise, may try to go to the Sebring 12 hour (car) race this year.  In my neck of the woods, but never attended (or the Daytona 500 NASCAR race for that matter).

Still would like to go to the TT (again) or the Classic TT (for the first time).

Like vinyl records, I think the boards may make a comeback.  Everyone is getting tired of the "social media" cluster.  Me, I resisted joining in, but it has been tough to lose so many contacts.
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi Smilo I know what you meen I too drop in from time to time but it is down to just you Jack and I over the last couple of years for me I was on a couple of other boards but as you say most have gone by the wayside , the way things went race wise over the last two years has spoilt that side of things for to such an extent I will not be going to any more Roads events am undecided if I will go to track events time will tell in that one , I am hoping to still get over to the IOM just as a visitor when there are no races going on to see my Manx friends and stock up on the Fairy dust , I do go on the FB site it is not that bad, it does have a much used block button that saves the day regards to you and yours
Keep Well Keep in Touch
Ed
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieC Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 pm

Psst ... I’m still here, though I always seem to struggle to log in. Just a year since we were in Florida, planning a return visit sometime but think we’re likely to return to the Southwest first. We’re off on our travels again soon, going to Madeira in a fortnight, Lanzarote in May, IOM in August and a bit of motorhoming in between.

Sent from Topic'it App
KatieC
KatieC

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:23 am

I did my big Southwest trip back in June, so finally got to see a bit of that scenery. Would like to get back to the IOM, but long-term planning of that sort is difficult for us right now.

Keep in touch if you head back to Florida. Not sure if this is the right place, but you do have my e-mail I believe...
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieC Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:13 am

Will do ... and next time we’ll be getting an annual pass for the Space Center (two visits just weren’t enough).

Sent from Topic'it App
KatieC
KatieC

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:05 am

I can go along and tell old "war" stories...

Actually, if you are around at the right time (not sure off of the top of my head), I can get you in as guests for the employee open house. Brought some of my wife's co-workers last go around and it was lots of fun. Get to get inside the buildings and really see some stuff.
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:15 pm

I have the same problem this year Smilo not being able to do long term planning what with a house move on the cards and I have a hip joint playing up that I am going to see the butcher about on Monday to see if he fancies the job of giving me a rebuild , we have not been anywhere as yet this year but are looking at going over to North Wales for a few days week after next to Llandudno area then the hope is the IoM lzst week in July first week in August and the other floating plan is to go to the most Westerly point of UK mainland Ardnamurchan Light house (dont ask me to pronounce it I had to look it up to spell it ) but just when and if that comes off is all in the lap of the gods , and then some time we will have to have a meet up you and the Lovely Man Kate , right time to go got the dog to feed and walk then after lunch am going for a ride on the bike only the third time this year
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 pm

Oh ye and in between all that I have taken to going on a day trip or two with a couple of Geordies who take me out and look after me taking photos of stuff like this IOM Southern 100  IMG-3894a
IOM Southern 100  IMG-0065-1
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:45 am

Hmmmm... The links seem to be a little off, just goes to the main "postimages" page.

Fix it... I want to see the pics!

Yeah, a few health issues, a few work issues, and suddenly you aren't 100% sure you can do something that is month's out.
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:13 am

Not sure what the problem is there as they show up on my set up , oh well try this https://photos.app.goo.gl/18BuXiKQH4KkRwhx9
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:15 am

Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:19 am

You may have to click on this one a second time to get it to play
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s3dqx1mCDygoT4zX6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qzaMVivmSBeAwmsG9
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:28 am

Last for tonight it is getting near to my bedtime story time Brexit Make believe , we used to call it the news but the times they are not a changing , well not as they should be , ten mins ov that on a night sends me to the land of nod in no time flat
Keep Well Keep in Touch
Ed
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:13 am

Thanks! Cool pics. Amazing how close and detailed a few of them are. I can almost see the pilots!
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:04 am

Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:08 am

That link should get you the shots I took on the final formation flyght of the much loved Tornado's
Bit of a dull cloudy day so not the best of photos
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:32 pm

Still, some really great shots in really bad photo conditions.

Recently missed the opportunity to see the first public airshow performance of the F35. Some of it was just laziness on my part to be fair...
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi Smilo not been on for a while it seems to have collapsed , it has been all go here we have down sized from a 3 had house to a old gits 1 bed bungalow so there has been a lot of parting of collectable (junk as the wife calls it ) and then they took me in for a rebuild 5 weeks ago for a hip replacement which is still a bit stiff it is getting there but just taking its time , the move and the rebuild all happened in the space of about a month , we had Kate And the Lovely Man to see us a couple of weeks back that was nice , I hear from Jack on FB from time to time he seams to be doing ok , oh ye what with the move and the hip job we will not be going over to the IoM this year not that we were going over for the bikes we were hoping to just go over for a couple of weeks as tourists to see friend and chill out but have decided to give it a miss it will be only the second year I haven't been over at least once since 1995 the other time was the foot and mouth year when the TT was cancelled

Keep Well Keep in Touch
Ed
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:47 am

Yeah, I check every so often, but mostly dead. Sorry to hear about the hip rebuild, but hopefully you'll be getting around better than ever soon.

I need to downsize my job. That is what most of my activity has revolved around for the last while. Planning on doing some bike riding in the mountains of North Carolina at the end of the month, though.

Still available on e-mail, but if you know any good old-style-e bulletin boards around, let me know and I'll join in!
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum