Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm by Steady Eddy

September 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

IOM Southern 100

Go down

IOM Southern 100

Post by Steady Eddy on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:05 am

Well we are here in the IOM in great weather for two weeks for the Southern and a bit of chill out have met up with Kate and tbe lovely Man a couple of times always good to catch up with them two racing on the first three evenings were good but then in race day it all turned souer a rider lost his life and the remaining races were abandoned it has hit me hard I knew the rider and his family , and was marshaling at his first race meeting and now sadly was there at his final race one James Cowton , to say I am gutted is an under statement , after much deliberation I have with a heavy heart decided that that is me finished with roads racing I will not be going to any more , it just feels that over the last couple of years every meeting we go to it is endless red flags riders killed or smashed to bits , I marshalled for about twelve years at all levels and was lucky to only be involved with one bad one that we thought we had wone we got him in to the air med and packed of to hospital inly for him to die later that night from his injuries , but I now feel that the odds are that one day a bad one ciuld happen in front of me and I would have to live with the memorries of what I had seen and that thought frightens me so much I am not prepared to run the risk any more , I am done , I never thought I would see the day I would turn my back on the TT but I did and now I never thought I would want to turn my back on all roads racing but do , I will go to a couple of short circuit meetings to see how I feel about that as I feel right now I dont know how it will turn out time will tell
Steady Eddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: IOM Southern 100

Post by Smilodon on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 am

Yeah, I was kind of wondering how that would impact you.  You are much closer to things than I am.  And certainly much more experienced in attending road races.

It has certainly been a bad year, and had a big impact on me and my fellow fans far away on this side of the pond.

That said, fatalities have always been hanging over such events, and while safety gear and motorcycle systems (brakes, tires, etc.) have improved dramatically, the speeds have increased at a similar rate.

Respect your decision, and hope you find some kind of racing you still enjoy.  I don't think I could give it up entirely.
Smilodon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:50 am

It has not been an easy desission for sure but one that haz been building for some time what with the Scarborough Gold cup meeting last yesr having to be abandoned because the hospital had run out of I C beds along with the other bad does there over the last two years and the stuff at the TT the Steve Mercer incedent and now this at the Southern it has all tipped me over the edge , am not like some saying it should be banned it is just me saying I cant take any more personaly I am torn to shreds just knowing it has happened but the thought that it could happen right in front of ME and even worse seeing where some of the bikes have ended up I just dont feel safe any more , At Scarborough I was stood in the very place the guy in a wheel chair that was badly injured and is still in hospital I believe taking photos that morning and in the afternoon before thinking I was ok , me the guy that gas been shouting safety for all the years since I first marshalled , as a marshal I have done my share of picking bikes and snashed up riders sime loosing limbs only the one fatality and we got him stable enough to be flown out but died later in hospital but these days with the increase in speed the damage potential has rissen to a new level but the safety margines have not been widened I know there are many that dont want change but I believe if changes are not made and the deaths continue to rise at the pesent rate the time will come the the anti road race brigade will get their way and get it banned but I am not saying ban it I am just stepping aside at 71 fast approaching 72 I have had a good run made a lot of friends had some great times but my time has come to say farwell thanks for the memories I will tresure them for what ever time I have left
Steady Eddy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum