Flying-Sparks.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Beesa  

Latest topics
» IOM Southern 100
Some Good TT News For Us Yanks I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2019 5:22 am by Steady Eddy

» old suspension bridge
Some Good TT News For Us Yanks I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am by Smilodon

» getting ready for the off
Some Good TT News For Us Yanks I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am by Steady Eddy

» Anybody at TT 2018?
Some Good TT News For Us Yanks I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am by Steady Eddy

» Run away for a few days
Some Good TT News For Us Yanks I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 2:49 am by Steady Eddy

» Garage Work and Hurricane
Some Good TT News For Us Yanks I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 12:27 am by Smilodon

» Mands & sidecars
Some Good TT News For Us Yanks I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 1:39 am by KatieC

» First trip away of 2018
Some Good TT News For Us Yanks I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 12:51 am by Steady Eddy

» Car Related Stuff
Some Good TT News For Us Yanks I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm by Steady Eddy

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Some Good TT News For Us Yanks

+4
Silly Olde Fart
j.p.
Steady Eddy
Smilodon
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Some Good TT News For Us Yanks Empty Some Good TT News For Us Yanks

Post by Smilodon Fri May 17, 2013 3:37 am

A TV channel in the states (that I actually get), Velocity, is showing same day TT coverage this year! cheers

Ok, not quite up to the level of being there, but you gotta take what you can get.
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Some Good TT News For Us Yanks Empty Re: Some Good TT News For Us Yanks

Post by Steady Eddy Fri May 17, 2013 6:49 am

Thats good for you they are saying the TV coverage is much improved this year going out live to many
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Fri May 17, 2013 11:34 am

DamnDamnDamnDamn.... I KNEW I shoulda taken the 'complete' satellite package! Nothing here on my regular providers... Do they still produce Wide World of Sports??
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Fri May 17, 2013 11:52 pm

No Jim McKay or Howard Cosell, no Wide World of Sports...

Velocity has been showing the TT the last few years, but it was usually a week or more after the event (VHS tapes sent by boat?). But this is the first "same-day, prime-time" coverage, and I'm sure that is all down to ratings.

I have TT stuff all over my office, and it was amazing after they showed it a few years, how many people came by my desk and asked me about it. Usually questions prefaced by "Do they really...".

It has hugely raised the visibility of the TT here in the states. Even amongst those who already knew about it, the immediacy of seeing a current event, rather than old footage from the "glory days", has stirred more enthusiasm for the current riders.

Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Sun May 19, 2013 12:22 am

I have a big poster size picture of the 'sign post' TT course that just says 'The Mountain' over my desk...

Let's see now... I've got it here somewhere's...

Some Good TT News For Us Yanks IsleofManTT_MountainCourse_Centenary_zps67bc6401

Yeah, this one.
It is always a great time waster to explain to those that ask what it means... followed by a loan of 'Closer to the Edge', and BLAM! New fan!
I still live in the hope we can resurrect our Canadian version... but the safety Nazis are proliferating...
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Olde Fart Sun May 19, 2013 6:37 pm

j.p. wrote:I still live in the hope we can resurrect our Canadian version... but the safety Nazis are proliferating...

Ah, yes, Mrs SOF and I remember September 2006 very well, particularly the kind hospitality given to us. We just HAD to come over to support the good work that you people had put into to event, only to be cut down by the Safety Nazis.

We look forward to being able to take home one of your posters for The Cape Breton TT Course. The little "Lap of the TT Course" badge is very much treasured. Just sorry that we had to do it on four wheels. (Note: We still have Timbits' Tee Shirts)
Silly Olde Fart
Silly Olde Fart

Back to top Go down

Post by Beesa Mon May 20, 2013 5:20 am

Smilo, I have not heard of the Velocity channel......

Beesa.

Beesa

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Tue May 21, 2013 11:57 am

Once more for old time's sake, and in case there are some newbies here that aren't quite sure what it's all about...

Some Good TT News For Us Yanks 261860249_347ce1e341

SOF, beer, AND the t-shirts!

Some Good TT News For Us Yanks 255848312_74987644b9

"Why, when I was young, it was more important..."

Some Good TT News For Us Yanks 253552737_333f80d37a

Chez moi!

Some Good TT News For Us Yanks 222528449_78c7ed3a55

The PIN!

Some Good TT News For Us Yanks 250562329_4828dfdb39_z

S.O.F. & the Mrs, & the trusty rental steed!

Some Good TT News For Us Yanks 255822685_299d468602_z

And what was SUPPOSED to be!! Sad
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Some Good TT News For Us Yanks Empty When

Post by bill h Wed May 22, 2013 1:58 am

I can't find a schedule for velocity that shows much. What days and time is this coverage going to be on.

Bill

bill h

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Wed May 22, 2013 11:43 pm

bill h wrote:I can't find a schedule for velocity that shows much. What days and time is this coverage going to be on.

Bill

My information is fairly vague, and based on adverts on their station. They stated that they will have "same day" coverage. As I recall, it was about 9:00 or 10:00 PM Eastern time (not sure if Velocity has a West Coast variant like many channels).

And in response to Beesa, Velocity is a Discovery Channel spin off that used to be called "HD Theater" when HD TV was new (it showed a variety of the new "HD" programming). Now that HD TV is common, they switched it to (semi) motoring related stuff (they carry wildlife and other shows too but tend to confine certain kinds of programming to certain days).

They actually have some pretty good shows here and there. The Brit show "Wheeler Dealer", "Chasing Classic Cars" and "Cafe Racer".

They are channel 1235 on my local (Brighthouse) cable system, if that is any help.
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by bill h Thu May 23, 2013 1:44 am

I use Cox; both Cox and Velocity are pretty vague about what they intend to broadcast. Cox showed listings for a week and Velocity two weeks, thru June 3rd. I couldn't find any listing for the TT on either. Velocity doesn't have anything where you can ask a question.

A couple of years ago, Velocity showed some stuff from the TT, but not even close to when the TT was running. It was good for some general interest, but was really old, old news. But it's always good to see some IOM on the TV even if you know all the results.

Bill

bill h

Back to top Go down

Post by gary the nurse Thu May 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Same day coverage-wow that's some good going for TT onto other side of pond!we've only just really had same day for the last few yrs...next step according to north1 is LIVE streaming...now that'd be cool but I can see all sorts of worrying snags with it...

gary the nurse

Location : the home of the little people and biggest bike race in the world

Back to top Go down

Post by Beesa Fri May 24, 2013 7:33 am

Live streaming would be ab-fab, wow., what a concept.

Beesa.

Beesa

Back to top Go down

Post by gary the nurse Fri May 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Think the main worry I would have is likes of camera crew filming and summat severe happens and the world spotlight focuses on summat that could have fatal consequences...imagine the families at the grandstand-theyd be watching their loved one racing and then possibly crashing/getting injured or worse-thats no way to find out!there'd have to be some form of delay to allow a quick editor to move away from that camera...."back to the grandstand" style like Geoff did so many years ago when he was commentating at ballaugh bridge when the horse spooked onto the course...
The other possibility could be that family of rider ain't watching and out and about-with friends etc and then everyone watching would know before they did...think it would definitely make people like Wynn Evans job worse unless that delay is in place
So totally live = no thanks///////live but short delay allowing edit ting= possibly

gary the nurse

Back to top Go down

Post by Beesa Mon May 27, 2013 7:01 am

I agree with Gary, there could be problems with a live set up.

Beesa.

Beesa

Back to top Go down

Post by timbits Tue May 28, 2013 2:42 pm

We lost a racer on the TT course today. Sad
Rest in peace Yoshinari Matsushida
Tyco Suzuki rider.
Family and friends will be in our prayers today.

timbits

Back to top Go down

Post by Beesa Wed May 29, 2013 5:49 am

Weather seems bad again on the rock. Tuned to iomtt.com today to listen to practice, rained out again... Bummer.

Beesa.

Beesa

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Thu May 30, 2013 12:10 am

Sad to hear about the fatality. Don't recognize the name, but must be a top rider to be with Tyco Suzuki.

Live streaming of the TT is probably not practical. With the race against the clock and such a huge course, a post-edit makes more sense before broadcast so some sense can be made of what is going on.

If any of you lot think you got into the videos, let us know here and we can look for you on the coverage.

Again, I will not be seeing anything until race week. Practice stuff is not being broadcast as far as I know.

I was able to get the BBC/NI "Bikes!" show on the BBC iPlayer, and used it to watch highlights of what there was of the NW200, and was getting ready to watch Cookstown and some other road races, but they seemed to have pulled it from the player... Great Rolling Eyes .
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by gary the nurse Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:35 am

RiP to yoshi!he was quite some character!deepest condolences to his family friends and crew!

gary the nurse

Back to top Go down

Post by gary the nurse Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:37 am

The weather has been brutal...hot and very hot in am....dramatically different wet and cold in pm....no practices in am anymore-10 yrs gone!so stuck with none in evening or curtailed due to water of fire etc...hence now super bike Sunday and sidecar sat...wi some practices too

gary the nurse

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:01 am

gary the nurse wrote:The weather has been brutal...hot and very hot in am....dramatically different wet and cold in pm....no practices in am anymore-10 yrs gone!so stuck with none in evening or curtailed due to water of fire etc...hence now super bike Sunday and sidecar sat...wi some practices too

Looks like you at least got some good weather for race week itself. I was fortunate enough to be able to watch the ITV coverage and it both hurt and helped. Helped ease the pain of not going and hurt not to be there! Suspect
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by bill h Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:44 am

How do you get ITV in the US

bill h

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:48 am

bill h wrote:How do you get ITV in the US

I PMed you with the gory technical details...
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by gary the nurse Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:33 am

The weather has been glorious-as can be evidenced by my bright red head...factor50 and still smouldering!

As I put in earlier entry-imagine summat happening and you have live streaming world wide-no edit ting there-no ability to jump to somewhere else on the course if summat went wrong-everything in full Technicolor on screen...my point classically made-fri senior-that webcam on the kerb at bottom of bray hill that is virtually on every TT dvd/vhs i have (and i have amore than a few) would have got the whole lot on film...imagine that worldwide-doesnt bear thinking about...

gary the nurse

Back to top Go down

Post by Beesa Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:09 am

Smilo, I will be getting a dvd from our friend Steve over in England with the full coverage from the I.T.V. T.T. as always. I will get a copy to you as soon as I get mine.

Beesa.

Beesa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next