Flying-Sparks.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Beesa  

Latest topics
» IOM Southern 100
Time for another decision... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2019 5:22 am by Steady Eddy

» old suspension bridge
Time for another decision... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am by Smilodon

» getting ready for the off
Time for another decision... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am by Steady Eddy

» Anybody at TT 2018?
Time for another decision... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am by Steady Eddy

» Run away for a few days
Time for another decision... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 2:49 am by Steady Eddy

» Garage Work and Hurricane
Time for another decision... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 12:27 am by Smilodon

» Mands & sidecars
Time for another decision... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 1:39 am by KatieC

» First trip away of 2018
Time for another decision... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 12:51 am by Steady Eddy

» Car Related Stuff
Time for another decision... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm by Steady Eddy

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Similar topics

Time for another decision...

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Time for another decision... - Page 2 Empty Re: Time for another decision...

Post by Steady Eddy Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:16 am

Not that I know of they seem to have gone in to hiding
    Steady Eddy
    Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:11 am

Well, I know a lot of folks are on Facebook and arrange meetups, status updates, etc. there. How about between the hedges? I know I have heard of that one, but what is the URL? The "official" IOMTT board? That was a wasteland last time I was there... But things change. Maybe I'll have a look around.
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:41 pm

We wuz knocked back to the stone age for this last week! Woke up on Monday morning to a freezing rain storm with high winds and the sounds of trees breaking. Pictures to follow. Long story - short... no power for 4 days, no way even out of the house for 48 hours with our driveway completely blocked and the main roads not much better. It's all my fault really, I mocked Mother Nature the week before when a blizzard blew through and left no real damage. This time we felt it!
    Stand by for a more detailed report, including the near delivery of the KLR...
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:08 pm

... and now my dearly beloved SWMBO slipped on the ice entering my workshop, and ended up with a broken ankle! Going in for mechanics work tomorrow which involves screws and bolts and things... Seems as though it is going to be an eventful spring...
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Oh don't like the sound of that , and I can't get the quiz too early for me ?? SWMBO ???
    Steady Eddy
    Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:34 am

Awful stuff, and just when the weather is starting to get a bit better. Sad 
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:58 am

She.Who.Must.Be.Obeyed. Very Happy 

Out of the O.R. this afternoon with shiny new screws. Home tomorrow morning with new wheels! Wheelchair wheels, but it DOES qualify as a two-wheeler... sorta...
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:37 pm

I should have known that one I have done enough Obeying in the last 48 years , and be careful pushing that wheelchair that can get you in to all sorts of trouble take it from one still bearing the scars to prove it
    Steady Eddy
    Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Grr!Grrr! Can't believe it! The 'good' insurance company just upped my insurance rate by THREE times when I went to register the KLR. First they said 'no' to sport bikes, so I change, and now they say 'We're not very competitive on bikes.' They say this AFTER I change all my car, van, and house insurance over. THAT year, they said "Hey! No problem-o! Bring on the motorcycle. We'll give you great rates on ANYTHING!".
    Lying F%#@ing baste-wards!

In other news... Here are the shots of last week's little 'weather event'...

Time for another decision... - Page 2 2014-04-032_zps26441c64

Sea drift ice to the horizon

Time for another decision... - Page 2 2014-04-024_zpsa6465b1f

Another few hours aught a do it... If I can get down through the bottom 6" ice layer

Time for another decision... - Page 2 2014-04-0119_zps97692418

This tree survived. Hundreds of others snapped off under the weight.

Time for another decision... - Page 2 2014-04-019_zps3d9d6a0c

Time for another decision... - Page 2 2014-04-014_zpse2f33d8d

Probably why there is no hot coffee this morning (and for the next 4 mornings!)

Time for another decision... - Page 2 2014-03-316_zps317ad26e

Probably should have skipped work this morning...
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:26 am

Yowza! You need a snow blower attachment for your truck. That one looks like a drop in the bucket.

Yeah, insurance companies will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes... etc. I've had nothing but bad experiences.

I insure the bikes with another company. My car company keeps sending me motorcycle flyers, but don't want to put all my eggs in one basket, the "discounts" for doing so quickly evaporate.
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:25 am

We just got over that little bit of weather, and it started clearing a bit... "Hey!" I thought. "Things are looking up!" That night it rained just like it rains in Florida. The water was coming down so hard and the wind was blowing so hard, that the rain falling off the roof of the garage was actually falling UP! The wind caught the drips and blew them back on to the roof. Amazing. Got out the next morning, but when I drove home that afternoon with SWMBO in the seat and the new wheelchair in the back, the front of the van disapeared into a sink hole!
    That's never been CLOSE to happening before! It was some fun pushing the wheelchair up the rest of the driveway in the mud!
    This evening (2 days later) I managed to get the van past the muck.
    I'm supposed to go get the KLR tomorrow. I was going to put it off a little longer, but I might actually need it to get out!
    In the meantime, I'm sitting here nursing a chill and fever and sore throat and dribbly nose... Sigh... Crying or Very sad 
    Think I'll go find a nice blankie...
    Oh yeah, on the plus side of today, the old insurance company from 2005 came to the rescue today and said... "Yeah... Gimmee $300 and we're good." Same rate as 2005, so I suppose I can't complain too loud!
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:39 am

Maybe you should play some lottery numbers or something. There has to be some luck around there somewhere!

Congrats on the insurance.

Test rode a new Ducati Monster a couple of weeks ago... Pretty cool! Been a while since I rode a street bike without bodywork. So, if the job stuff sorts itself out favorably, maybe on the list!
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:59 am

So the Friday is reasonably warm and a lot of the snow melts away. "Let's get the bike tomorrow!" I think. Dealer wants it gone, no room for the new bikes.
    Saturday dawns overcast, but not too bad. Next door neighbour drives me the 30 miles to the dealer. By the time we get the gates open (I'm early), find the thing buried in the back of the shop, and move a half dozen ATVs out to get at it, the weather has perceptively changed.
    By the time I get suited up, put the plate on, and get away, it is now lightly drizzling. Did I mention the temperature had dropped from 10 to 0 +1? For you non-metric types, that's freezing territory!
    Perfect ride home for an 'adventure' bike I suppose!

Time for another decision... - Page 2 2014-04-123_zpsdeb4d620

Feels like riding behind an 'office' with the seating position and various weather shields. The roads had glazed over by the time I got to the seashore, but nothing troublesome for the 1/2 hour ride. Toes of my boots were a little wet, and light mist on my jacket.
    I get to take it apart this weekend just to look at the bits and pieces. I think this one will be a keeper!
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 am

Kind of a miserable "first ride". If you still like it after that, it's a good sign!
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 am

Hope I know what I'm doing! Cleaned them both up a bit, and stood back to look (as far as I could without tripping over winter junk).

Time for another decision... - Page 2 2014-04-2012_zps19a1cbf5

Quite a bit different for them both being Kawasaki 650s! The Ninja sounds like an air compressor on steroids, and the KLR sounds like a gravel truck.

Oh well... Too late now. Can't realistically keep 'em both.

Dual Purpose life here we come!

Besides, Armageddon is coming soon, and I think the KLR has been voted most likely to survive!
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:38 am

Wow, you have everything there but the kitchen sink... Wait a minute...  Suspect 
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Laughing Laughing Forgot about the sink! Did some renovation for the next door neighbour and it was a throw out. Too good to REALLY throw out though! Figure it can be a wash up sink in the garage at some point. Maybe...
    As a side note, that blue box behind it? In front of the KLR? It's an IBM main frame computer wiring loom box from the 1980's. I've had it since we changed our high tech IBM370 main frame computer at the computer center where I was a 'console operator'. Wow! You don't hear that term anymore, eh?
    Anyways... It was worth thousands at the time, but I got it for free and turned it in to one of the best tool cabinet you could possibly ask for. Moved it 4 times since then. Damn thing weighs about 300 lbs!!
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:08 am

OK, the IBM mainframe bits trump the kitchen sink, I guess. I bet that does make a great cabinet. Back when I worked for a vendor (not IBM), I wish I had taken the time to pick up a bit of scrap myself. We used to retire nice cases that the service guys would use for specific parts. Sometimes they needed a bit of repair, but you could scavenge handles and latches off of another one. Never bothered at the time, would be kind of cool to have now!
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:18 pm

I sent that picture to a friend in Vancouver and there were all sorts of comments about my pack-ratting! There is no respect for the pro quality 'collector' anymore! All those containers and stuff are there for a reason! I may have FORGOTTEN the reason right now, but at the time, there was a perfectly good reason not to throw it out.
    I may need a 1/2 ounce of Ford transmission fluid sometime. Haven't owned a Ford for 10 years... but you never know...
    This is an expanded view taken during the ice storm. Water leaking in under the doors, mud dribbling up from somewhere, straw bale bits from the chicken palace supply, bags, boxes, ... stuff... Temporary floor covering because... because... Oh I don't know why! Just BECAUSE!

Time for another decision... - Page 2 2014-04-125_zpsf8c884d4

Geriatric Honda Big Red ATC circa 1980. I think it still has the original oil from 1980. Not sure why I don't have a Honda motorcycle anymore...
    Oh, and don't forget, this is the NEW garage. The other one attached is bigger.

Cranky cat. Just for fun.

Time for another decision... - Page 2 2014-04-1215_zpsb1141aca
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Wow, don't see three-wheelers 'round these parts much anymore, what with all our US lawsuits and whatnot.

Going back to the first picture, I noticed that the KLR has a big enough rack on the back to be an extra garage itself!

Also, a big tub of something... construction-y... and a beer.
    Smilodon
    Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:13 pm

Yeah... The full tank bag for the Ninja fits perfectly on that rack. I was going to get a solid trunk thing... But I'm just not ready for baggage stuff yet... The beer is a particular favorite of mine. Local Canadian brew, Rickard's Red. They have a variety pack I usually pick up, with a dark lager, a red, a clear pilsener type, and a 'brown' ale. I just blindly reach into the fridge and get a surprise every time! The many, many boxes on that shelf are mostly full of oil stuff, but you never know what you might find! ... and that ATC REALLY hurt me many years ago when I flipped it upside down and it jumped up and down on my supine body and then ran off into the bush.  Evil or Very Mad It took me a long time to forgive it!
    j.p.
    j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2