Flying-Sparks.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Beesa  

Latest topics
» IOM Southern 100
Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2019 5:22 am by Steady Eddy

» old suspension bridge
Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am by Smilodon

» getting ready for the off
Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am by Steady Eddy

» Anybody at TT 2018?
Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am by Steady Eddy

» Run away for a few days
Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 2:49 am by Steady Eddy

» Garage Work and Hurricane
Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 12:27 am by Smilodon

» Mands & sidecars
Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 1:39 am by KatieC

» First trip away of 2018
Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 12:51 am by Steady Eddy

» Car Related Stuff
Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm by Steady Eddy

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday...

5 posters

Go down

Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... Empty Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday...

Post by Smilodon Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 am

Ah Florida, land of flat, straight roads, paint-peeling heat and leather-soaking humidity. However, every once and a while it doesn't suck. This Sunday was one of those days.

I have been very busy as of late (as previously noted) and have missed most of the good biking weather and events (business travel during Bike Week as one example).

So, I worked late Friday to finish up taxes (Ack!) so I could get in some riding Sunday. Decided to take the old Honda out to rid it of the fast-aging Ethanol-laced stuff we call petrol (actually "gas") here.

The wife and I had a great ride up the small roads that parallel the intercoastal waterway and headed up to Daytona beach. The weather was in the high 70's (F that's 26 or so C) with few clouds and little wind.

Passed an air show on the way up and were buzzed by interesting aircraft. Had lunch at a great Greek restaurant with a deck on the roof that overlooks the ocean. A great day on the bike (and away from work of all kinds).

Also had a small hydraulic clutch issue on the Honda on the way home because of it having sat for so long, but even that wasn't much of a let down.

After so long away from a bike, it was nice to have a reminder of one of the reasons I have one...

Last edited by Smilodon on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed typo (nit-picker)!)
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... Empty Re: Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday...

Post by Steady Eddy Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:02 am

Know what you mean Smilo that first ride out after the long winter is all ways special , as you say reminding us of just how good life can be
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... Empty Re: Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday...

Post by Smilodon Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 pm

Well, for us, it's more of "one of the last rides before the miserably hot summer", but yeah I get your drift.

It was more the "winter of being too busy to ride" for me. And what with biking being such a great stress reliever too!
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddy Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:56 am

HOT summer ??? we don't get summers any more never mind hot
Steady Eddy
Steady Eddy

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:54 am

Ahhh.. North American opposites! Ice is finally off the lake so took the blankie off the bike yesterday and checked it all over. It POURED rain last week, so all the salt and crap is washed off the roads. Ready to go!

Forecast for tomorrow? Cloudy, then rain, freezing rain, followed by possibly 15cm of snow. Hmmmm...

Dropped by my local bike dealer this afternoon... New Ninjas on the floor, a Benelli, several Gixxers, a KLX, two KLRs... Think I'll get this instead...

Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... FREERIDE%20146

800cc , 163 h.p., 483 lbs. If you had the TT scheduled for March, this would probably beat the 130MPH record!
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:03 am

I don't see the picture of the "whatever" (but I assume it is a snow-mobiley thing from the specs). They are conspicuously absent from our showrooms.

Our summer is a bit like the winter season for us as far as bike riding. Unless you are like many riders around here that wear shorts, flip flops, no shirt or helmet.

That actually makes summer pretty nice (particularly if you are working on a tan). Just don't fall down (or hit a piece of debris thrown up by a car or about 1000 other things) and you'll be fine! albino

Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:33 pm

I wonder if I used the wrong link for the picture? It shows up on my screen scratch , but yeah... It's a Skidoo 'Freeride' with their weirdo direct injection two stroke motor. I'm starting to loose track of the technology! I remember my CB450 being exotic because it had DHOC!
On the topic of semi-naked riding though, I must attest at being guilty in my youth. It sure is nice to putter down a country lane on a warm evening dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. afro
Come to think of it though, I swallowed quite a few bugs that way... silent
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by gary the nurse Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am

Oooh want one!
Lol needed one a few weeks ago!
Hey did anyone of man sparks hire road and tracks snow bikes?wonder what they handled like?
For £20 a day sounded fun

gary the nurse

Location : the home of the little people and biggest bike race in the world

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:39 am

Those things are SO custom now, they are just like bikes really. You can get Sunday cruisers for 2 up, or idiotic turbo things that go straight up mountains better than a KTM450. They are getting incredibly expensive to run around here though because we don't have enough constant snow anymore to run from your back door. When you start adding in trailer and truck to tow them and trail fees (Yes... mandatory) and insurance and license and staying overnight somewhere in the mountains... Too rich for my blood Crying or Very sad I just hibernate now and wait for two wheels to come around again...
(Funny topic for a Florida link, eh?)
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by gary the nurse Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:47 am

Well smilo probably does have one somewhere in his garage mansion!suppose tho they're too much money wise to have especially if not regularly used...shame tho as they look fun

gary the nurse

Back to top Go down

Post by gary the nurse Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 am

Lol Florida topic...it ain't sparks without a little thread detour every now and again lol

gary the nurse

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 am

gary the nurse wrote:Lol Florida topic...it ain't sparks without a little thread detour every now and again lol

Well, we kind of do have them, they just have a boat hull and jet rather than skis and treads...
Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... ModelImage_GTR215_Orange

More on these...

And I am probably one of the rare garages around here that does not have one in it. Too busy with other stuff I guess...

PS: J.P. I do see your picture now, so some magic happened, or I got back on my meds or something...
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:30 pm

Those silly Seadoos have RACING classes now! And they're @#$@ CRAZY! Turbo this, direct injection that, even SUSPENSION! I've got one of these in the back of the garage almost all restored... Poor man's version. Had it since I was 14 years old... which is a very, VERY long time ago!!

Florida Actually Not Bad Yesterday... Hydroplane-

Oops.. picture's too big... Oh well, you get the idea...

j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Tue May 07, 2013 6:22 am

Ah yes... Everybody around here is probably a little more boat crazy than me (even I only have so much room for toys!), but I get a lot of exposure to them second-handedly.

We have some kind of big "personal watercraft" in the Indian river around here, so have seen some of the craziness. There are a couple of big boat manufacturers in the area (up to "oil sheik" yacht size) and plenty of boat/PW tuners, etc.
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by gary the nurse Thu May 16, 2013 1:13 am

Y;keys thatsea doo looks fun!!!and omg (where's the eyes popping out of head smillie?) Sorry smilo-thats summat you DONT have in your garage....oh wait-its cos its in your pool lol?

gary the nurse

Back to top Go down

Post by Smilodon Fri May 17, 2013 3:29 am

Well when everybody else has a boat, you don't need one! geek
Smilodon
Smilodon

Back to top Go down

Post by j.p. Fri May 17, 2013 11:37 am

Two happiest days of your life!

One, GETTING a boat, and two, Getting RID of the damn boat!

Last one sunk on me, the bastard! Silver lining was when I dragged it up, dried it off, and sold it for more than I'd bought it for.
Some days, you just get lucky...
j.p.
j.p.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beesa Mon May 27, 2013 7:03 am

Its getting too hot here already. Close on 90 degrees every day now.

Beesa.

Beesa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum